Anytime Doctor is aware that some online agencies supply Intrinsa for women with low libido. Following a review of the evaluated published evidence, Anytime Doctor does NOT offer a Low Libido Consulation service for the following reasons:
1. It has not been established that androgen production in the ovaries decreases significantly during the natural menopause and there is poor correlation between androgen levels and symptoms of female sexual dysfunction.
2. It is also extremely difficult to measure testosterone levels.
3. The effect on sexual desire when compared to placebo was small and many patients did not respond to treatment.
4. The place in therapy is difficult to determine because of the limited evidence of efficacy and lack of long-term safety data.
1. Diagnosis of hypoactive sexual desire disorder (HSDD) can only be made after many months of surgery once the patients’ normal activities are resumed. HSDD is complex. Diagnosis requires a full psychological and medical assessment by a specialist.
2. Cognitive behavioural therapy and /or sex therapy may be most appropriate.
3. Testosterone implants (50 -100mg every 4-8 months) are used by some specialists.
This information is based on evidence at the time of publishing and will be reviewed when more evidence is available.
2. Summary of Product Characteristics for Intrinsa (http://emc.medicines.org.uk/ – checked online July 2009)
3. Drug Tariff, July 2007.
Denise Knowles a pyschosexual therapist discusses female sexual dysfunction